Car of the Month
Owners name: John Lister
Owners location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Model: Midget GAN5 r/w/arch 71-74
Engine size/type: 1293cc
Year of manufacture: 1972
Colour: Havest Gold
How long owned: 44 Years
History of Car and any work or modifications carried out: I bought the car in April 1978, it had only covered 14,000 miles & had two previous owners. The car has now covered 168,500 miles.
During the late 70's and 80's I used the car for MGCC sprints, and managed to win on a few occasions. During the 90's I wanted something a bit faster, and considered selling, however my wife wouldn't let me! So it was agreed that I would undertake a few modifications, and over time these have been;-
- Oselli tuned "fast road" 1293cc engine producing about 90bhp,
- Ford Type 9 gear box (with shortened remote),
- Frontline front suspension (telescopic shocks & increased camber),
- Lowered & stiffened suspension with cross drilled front discs,
- 123 electronic ignition,
- HIF44 carb & MG Metro inlet manifold,
- LCB exhaust manifold with stainless steel large bore twin silencer system,
- Oil cooler.
- Alloy rad.
The car was stripped & rebuilt during the 90's with further work 8 years ago.
The car is now used for fun & occasional track days
Nickname of Car: Alun (an anagram of the number plate)